Sunday, August 7, 2011

go(ing) swifter than the wind!

AWAY WE GO - We've had a few significant rehearsals thus far, and I finally feel like I might be getting a handle on this play. Don't be mistaken, I have quite a bit of work to do; but I have worked hard on my own - dissecting each line, making physical choices and presenting clear ideas. I am comforted that our director not only recognizes the effort, but is also open to working with me and collaborating on ideas. That gives me comfort.

I cannot speak for the rest of the show, I can only focus on my work, my scenes. This has been a problem for me in the past - my ego gets obsessed with everything being perfect that it can often be at the cost of my attitude, or worse, the quality of work. This will change. That said, the show remains to have great potential, and will do my part to ensure its realization. I am hopeful.

I've also been able to begin the make-up work with the apprentice company - what a great bunch! Their attitudes are fantastic, they're eager to learn and "get in there," and seem like genuine hard-workers. I was able to steal a few moments with them yesterday, and they are excited to move forward with their "fairy-looks." I gave them some homework to do, to practice and once we get kits for them, we should be able to really get some work done. While we still don't have a great deal of time, I am confident that we will be able to pull off something simple, bold and effective.

Again, I still have a great deal of work to do.
I am working privately with a trusted friend (and amazing dancer) who is helping me tremendously with the physicality of Oberon and, judging from the reception of my work yesterday - I think I'm on the right track.

"Our remedies oft in ourselves do lie,"

No comments:

Post a Comment